Region 2 Digital Library
Freeware & Shareware Sites for Education
|[ Home ]|
Freeware Games for Fine and Visual Motor Skill Building
Links to Online Sources
http://www.littlefingers.com (at the bottom of page - mostly for older Macs)
http://www.schoolexpress.com/compsoft/software.php (free software)
http://www.freeworksheets.com/ (free activity sheets)
http://www.kidwaresoftware.com/#kidsw (A few are free)
http://www.kindersite.org/Directory/Games.htm (these seem to be online games)
http://www.cogcon.com/gamegoo/gooey.html (online games)
http://www.schoolhousetech.com/products/products.htm (has two free programs
http://www.switchintime.com/FreeStuff.html (free switch based activities for MACs)
Freeware, Shareware and Demo
Programs on the Internet
updated in 9/04 compiled by
Glenda Hampton Anderson
There are many free 30-day demos available on-line and by requesting a free CD version of software. Be sure to ask before you purchase so that you can provide a trial for students! A couple of my favorites that provide full feature products for trial are:
www.rjcooper.com has many demos of software for switch users and low abilities kids. This can also be requested in CD format.
www.inspiration.com has full-feature demos of their graphic organizer programs.
http://www.wordq.com/ provides demo software, which is a writing tool; used along with standard Windows word processing software to provide spelling, English grammar and punctuation assistance. It uses advanced word prediction to suggest words for you to use and provides spoken (text-to-speech) feedback.
http://www.premier-programming.com/ has Trial (Demo) Versions for the Following Products: Scan and Read, Text Cloner, Scan and View, Complete Reading System, Talking Word Processor, Text-to-Audio, Talking Calculator, Universal Reader, Ultimate Talking Dictionary, PDF Magic Pro, Talking Checkbook. You may also request a CD with all of their Demo versions.
Kurzweil offers demo CD’s of two assistive technology products. Their products help to empower students to take control over their reading and writing disabilities and establish their independence. Kurzweil 1000 is an advanced scanning and reading solution for the blind or visually impaired. Kurzweil 3000 is their scanning, reading and writing solution for people with learning disabilities or reading difficulties. http://www.kurzweiledu.com/
Drawing, Coloring and Creating programs
* Drawing for Children
A simple drawing and coloring program which includes stamps (small pre-drawn pictures to color) of Winnie The Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, Owl, Rabbit, Gopher, Roo and Kanga to add to your pictures.
* Rub a Dub
Teach kids to mouse with this fun art application! Beginning mousers sometimes have trouble with the "click and drag". This fun little coloring book is designed with the tiniest tykes in mind. Kids can color pictures by dragging the mouse over them. The rubbing reveals colorful surprises underneath the black and white features!
* BlockCAD is a freeware program for building virtual models with Lego-like bricks.
You can save your models, or save pictures of them (.bmp, .jpg), even reuse a complete model as a part in another model. Everything can be controlled with the mouse, but it's also possible to use the keyboard for most of the commands, making 'routine building' more effective, and there is a minimum of text involved, to make it easier for kids.
Educational Games and Programs that you can play on-line or download to your computer
* http://www.riverdeep.net/edmark/ go to “Free Demos”
E-Text (Electronic Text) free books online - Electronic text provides access to digital materials for students with learning, sensory and physical disabilities. The Internet provides many sites for gathering e-text. Here are just a few:
CAST e-Text Spider: Searches e-Text repositories that index public domain materials and are free of charge. The e-Text Spider will pass a search term to the various on-line libraries and then display the returned results. If nothing else, bookmark this one!
Select the “Image” tab and type in your image search request. To copy just hold down the mouse on the graphic and there will be a little pull down menu that has Copy to Clipboard as an option. Select that and return to your document and select Paste. You can also select to download the image to a disk or your desktop and then insert picture from the pull down menu.
* http://pics.tech4learning.com/ includes “copyright friendly images for education” including American Sign Language. The Pics4Learning collection consists of thousands of images that have been donated by students, teachers, and amateur photographers.
* http://trainland.tripod.com/pecs.htm includes pictures that you can use for communication systems. May be used with Boardmaker or on its own by using a cut and paste method. Includes real pictures of many items, such as food, fast food places, stores, etc.
* Math Graphic Organizers, All-Subject Graphic Organizers, Problem and Solution, Venn Diagrams and Webs, and Language Arts Graphic Organizers
http://www.teachervision.com/ go to Lesson Planning Center then to Graphic Organizers.
* "A picture is worth 1000 words." This is so true, and when students are juggling new concepts, a graphic organizer can be an excellent teaching aide.
* www.eduplace.com/graphicorganizer provides PDF files of many graphic organizers. With the hit of a button they are available in Spanish also!
Internet sites that have listings of many programs listed by category with direct links and/or downloads:
* Educational Programs
http://www.adders.org/freeware/ then go to “Educational Programs”
* Math Support including basic addition to Geometry, Ratios and Statistics.
Hundreds of pages of Basic Math Skills. Interactive Practice on every page. An Explanation of the math topic on each page. Several Challenge Games on every page. Math Problems are randomly created.
Whether you are looking for developing critical thinking, letter names and sounds, adjectives, an algebra calculator or a virtual lab, Edmark has provided free downloads to support your educational programs.
* Teach-nology.com offers teachers free access to 19,000 lesson plans, 5,600 printable worksheets, over 200,000 reviewed web sites, rubrics, educational games, teaching tips, advice from expert teachers, current education news, teacher downloads, web quests, and teacher tools for creating exciting classroom instruction.
* Flash Typing- Attempt to vaporize asteroids (letters) before they hit your space ship: http://www.kidsdomain.com/down/pc/flashtyping.html
* Five Finger Typist- This site will provide information and allow you to download a demo version to try before you buy: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~softdawn/software/fft.html Versions available for both Mac and PC!
* Calculator Home Page for Windows high functioning calculator. Free download.
* Wide assortment of all types of calculators, ranging from 1885 Felt & Tarrant “Comptometer” Adding Machine and a Vector Calculator to an Astrophysical Calculator and a Linear Algebra Matrix Calculator. http://www.middleschool.net/MainFeatures/caculate.htm
* National Library of Virtual Manipulatives encourages active engagement in mathematical thinking and learning – helping students visualize relationships and applications. http://matti.usu.edu/nlvm/nav/index.html
* Flashcards for Kids
* Graph Paper- never buy it again! There are many sites that offer free graph paper or programs to develop your own. Great to use with students who struggle lining up their problems!
* MathType™ is an interactive tool for Windows and Macintosh that lets you create mathematical notation for word processing, web pages, desktop publishing, presentations, and for TeX, LaTeX, and MathML documents. 30-day trial provided.
* Edmark Algebra Calculator - Download a free algebra calculator which shows its work as it solves its problem. Other on-screen calculators are available also.
* http://www.addcentre.co.uk/modificationchecklists.htm is specific to ADHD and ADD
* A fun exercise for developing a click http://svt.se/hogafflahage/hogafflaHage_site/Kor/hestekor.swf
* http://www.intelore.com/reflex/ provides a game that is available to download
* http://www.ahf-net.com/reach.htm is an on-screen keyboard software that comes with a vast assortment of assistive technology tools. It was designed to help a person use a computer more easily and augment their speech if that is needed. Designed for people who have trouble using a standard hardware keyboard but can use a mouse or other pointer. Also provides support for single switch or two switches users by using a REACH keyboard in "scanning" mode.
* Click-N-Type is an on-screen virtual keyboard designed for anyone with a disability that prevents him or her from typing on a physical computer keyboard. As long as the person can control a mouse, trackball or other pointing device, he or she can send keystrokes to virtually any Windows application or DOS application that can run within a window. Click-N-Type is a 32-bit application that requires Windows 95 or later. Freeware http://www.lakefolks.org/cnt/
* For $5 a month you can have access to: over 2,150 signs, Baby Sign, International Sign, Stock Trader Sign, Animal Sign sections and Sign Stories Articles at http://www.handspeak.com/
* http://where.com/scott.net/asl/ for learning fingure spelling.
* http://www.lessontutor.com/ASLgenhome.html ASL Lesson Tutor
* Here are a few American Sign Language terms to help those of you who are trying to communicate with a person who signs. Also included is the basic alphabet and numbers 1-10. http://www.masterstech-home.com/ASLDict.html
* http://www.symbolworld.org/ has many on-line stories, some recipes, poetry, news stories, etc. written and supported with picture icons.
* Please Read 2003
For Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
Freeware. Works in word processing programs and in e-mail.
Read your E-Mail to you, Instant Messages, web pages, your letters and documents. Send Animated Messages to friends. Greet you daily with the date, time, and a personal message and set alarms to remind you of events. http://www.talk-to-me.net
* Mac Users try Text-Edit Plus
Tex-Edit Plus is a scriptable, styled text editor that fills the gap between Apple's bare bones SimpleText and a full-featured word processor. It's fast, efficient, and has a clean, uncluttered interface. It's also great for cleaning up text, which is transmitted over the Internet.
* WordWeb is a Thesaurus and dictionary for Windows
It includes a comprehensive English thesaurus and dictionary, and can be used to look up words from within most programs. WordWeb works from a small icon in your system tray. To look up a word in almost any program just double-click on the word to select it, then click the WordWeb icon or use the keyboard shortcut. If you are editing a document you can select a synonym and replace the look-up word.
* Fact Monster- Atlas, Almanac, Dictionary, Encyclopedia on-line
Ø Visual Support
* Zoomtext (Enlargement and screen reader for Windows) Download and Trial CDavailable. http://www.aisquared.com/index.htm
* Bavisoft has changed the computer gaming industry. In place of graphics, audio games are powered purely with sound imagery, opening a world of entertainment for the blind and visually impaired. Bavisoft provides game players with music and sound quality, creating a gaming experience. http://www.bavisoft.com/index.htm
* http://www.freenet.edmonton.ab.ca/ecnweb/Helpdesk/FAQ/Visual_Impaired.htm Provides a listing of Resources for the Visually Impaired.
Final Word: Don’t forget that each operating system comes with its own supports, “To enable people and businesses throughout the world to realize their full potential.” To learn more about the built-in solutions that are available on your computer:
* http://www.microsoft.com/enable/products/default.aspx for PC computers using Microsoft products.
No Budget, No Problem!
Closing the Gap 2004